User Info
No avatar Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
April 25, 2018, 05:03:48 PM

Anime Stash Community Forum  |  The Lounge  |  Chatbox  |  Poll, Test, Surveys  |  Topic: How do you find&decide on series you will watch ?
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do you find&decide on series you will watch ?  (Read 4594 times)
Val-Gaav
将軍 (Shogun)
神様 (Kami)

How do you find&decide on series you will watch ?
« on: May 18, 2008, 08:16:06 PM »

I'm interested in knowing how people decide on what to watch.  It can be quite hard to find a good series among all those bad ones and so so ...

If possible please post a detailed description about your decision process Smiley
evilguy
大魔王
将軍 (Shogun)
神様 (Kami)

The owls are not what they seem.

Re: How do you find&decide on series you will watch ?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 08:22:32 PM »

Well i usually listen to comments people make about a series(i.e. good, bad, excellent etc...)without hearing any spoilers, then i check out a plot summary on wiki or ANN(also the pics that they usually have)and if i like the look of it, i download the first ep and continue from their

Though their are occasions where i just randomly pick a series, watch the first ep, if its good i continue(actually, thats how i found Darker than BLACK, an excellent series smiley)

Also quite a few i got from my best friend, who gave me them on DVD's or showed me them while i was over his house smiley

Ikalx
Oyaji
僧兵 (Sohei)
神様 (Kami)

Spirit Bandanna

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 09:28:51 PM »

Firstly; it's gotta be a theme I like - so not usually any just school days drama or ecchi, has to be some sci-fi or fantasy or ...well actually that's what I usually look for. Most animes have an element of that in them anyway so it's not too hard.

Secondly; I 'check' how popular the anime is...if it's got a lot of people talking about it then I sometimes join the bandwagon quicker because I think it'll be worth watching (not always though - like i'm just watching Bleach now). The better I think it'll be, the higher it is on my list.

Thirdly; I have a look at what kind of rating ANN gives it - if it's got a lot of high ratings, then it'll get even higher on my list.

Generally, I like to watch longer series, so if something is less than 13 episodes long, then it probably won't get watched until later, whereas a 28-52 ep series will get watched sooner because I like to marathon cheesy
Yamo
Jack might be nimble but I'm a sex symbol So slick I stole the wick from his candlestick
浪人 (Ronin)
先輩 (Senpai)

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 09:34:56 PM »

I watch everything that catch my eyes expect Hentai  cuz it's full of bullshit no plot or such..
Tehcheese
浪人 (Ronin)
先輩 (Senpai)

keikaku doori

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 10:06:04 PM »

usually by genre, supernatural/horror

or spend 2 hours scrolling through the anime top 500 list till something catches my eye.

but mostly i get things to watch via irc, lurking in channels a lot you get to hear about whats hot and whats not so to speak.

well thats just me personally

Gambi
What are you looking at ? O.o
神様 (Kami)

AHHHHHHH! IT'S THE HUMAN ATOMIC BOMB!!

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 10:37:13 PM »

first: the anime somehow gets my attention ... no matter if its a comment or just the name (in a list) ... but i dont read review sites or anything like that

secondly: it has to SOMEHOW look good and here it also doesnt matter in which way .. a good pic or a good sounding summary sometimes even the genre is enough

thirdly: i give each anime i started two chances : intro / first ep ... if the intro OR the first ep looks good i at least watch the second ep if both look good i at least watch up to the third ep ... on the other hand if the intro was bad and the first ep doesnt look so good then i might watch it at least to the end but usually i stop watching it right in the middle
there are rare occasions where i force myself to watch something since i heard its "ohhh so good " ---> recent example Gundam Wing .... the first 4 eps just didnt make ANY sense to me (no i dont want an explanation)

of course this choosing methode doesnt stop me from stop watching an anime in the middle of the series if its getting boring
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 10:39:18 PM by Gambi » Logged

"Hey ... would you say I became a hero?"

I'm usually misunderstood! - That's how I sit at home in front of my screen!                
Skyfish-Zho
将軍 (Shogun)
神様 (Kami)

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 04:40:52 AM »

I usually review the Animenewsnetwork and other review sites for any updates/new series. next will be to see if Animestash has already the series in its database and browse the forum of animestash for the views/comments of experts/sempais here in animestash. A try-out of first episode will make me to finally decide whether to watch it or not. ^_^
JeX
先輩 (Senpai)

"The Prodigy"

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 06:09:55 AM »

First, I search anime names at stash for possible download...
Then, I look at wikipedia for a brief info about the anime...
Finally, I look at google at some images...

Boom, And another anime posted on my list of 'to watch anime'

I am only an Arbiter,
I am not allowed to interfere in the real world.
Arbiter of Reverse Reasoning
3. Haruhi Suzumiya Endless Eight Arc - the worst troll in anime history! I mean 8 repetitive episodes!?
Zenith
新米 (Shinmai)

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 07:05:37 AM »

I have a friend thats gets lots of anime so i normally go to his house to get anime, but because he has so much anime, which = lots of crappy ones, i normally scan through the first episode hoping that something catches my eye. Might go through the 2nd episode if im still not sure.

Genre also plays and important role as well when choosing anime. Enjoyed animes like Mai Hime, scrapped princess  and GTO.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear... And when it is gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear is gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. Frank Herbert
Gambi
What are you looking at ? O.o
神様 (Kami)

AHHHHHHH! IT'S THE HUMAN ATOMIC BOMB!!

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 12:32:18 PM »

if you like those 3 you about love everything ... well ... maybe except for horro

"Hey ... would you say I became a hero?"

I'm usually misunderstood! - That's how I sit at home in front of my screen!                
Zenith
新米 (Shinmai)

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 12:40:16 PM »

As long as it has a good story then yes i do like just about everything.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear... And when it is gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear is gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. Frank Herbert
LeonLanford
ni~doresu
浪人 (Ronin)
神様 (Kami)

ni~doresu

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 01:53:54 PM »

ha2 the 'other' choice is win grin

basically same like eguy and ikalx,

1. people talking about the anime!(not otaku), i'm curious about that
2. i checked ann review and rating also genre
3. if it has 'comedy' genre, it will surely get into my list, with some anime as exception if it has strong point in some aspects(like aria and mushishi)

i only watched few anime though, will be really few if i compare to you all Tongue
i don't like really long anime like naruto and one piece, i prefer read Tongue the anime has too much filler grin

basically i only watched when i think "ow it might be good anime!", so i download it Tongue

ohmygod2k
浪人 (Ronin)
先生 (Sensei)

Succumb to the Desu~

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 04:37:22 PM »

for me after i hear a name mentioned somewhere or see it being "popular", i go to ANN, look at its pic (really) and description and rating/genre. if it interests me, i'll look for blog reviews (i saved some - eg. http://psgels.blogsome.com/),

hasnt disappointed me so far. except amaidayo (sp?) deleted that lol but i already knew it was going to be crappy but the # of requests for it just made me wanna take a look.

Before you argue online, see this

No longer active..

Having file playback problems? Use CCCP codec pack www.cccp-project.net
mavz898
オタク (Otaku)

RAWR~!

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 06:27:38 AM »

I choose them at random, haha..doesn't matter what genre it is, if it's anime, i watch it..haha!
Raikoh
新米 (Shinmai)

knights Of Faith

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2008, 07:04:55 AM »

I use 2 processes:
1. Random with some level of search. Ex. If i want a Mecha anime, then i search for random mecha anime
2. I have a diverse group of friends so i could ask them. They always seem to have a suggestion.grin

Now Watching Read Or Die the T.v..
Next:Code Geass

Pages: [1] 2  
Anime Stash Community Forum  |  The Lounge  |  Chatbox  |  Poll, Test, Surveys  |  Topic: How do you find&decide on series you will watch ?
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length