User Info
No avatar Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
August 19, 2017, 04:27:07 AM

Anime Stash Community Forum  |  Anime & Manga Discussion  |  Anime  |  Topic: What got you into anime, and kept you there?
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What got you into anime, and kept you there?  (Read 3321 times)
zephy669
Cruise Control Writer

What got you into anime, and kept you there?
« on: June 15, 2015, 02:56:54 AM »

So what got everyone into anime? My sense is that most everyone got into it at a much younger age. I know for me, that was the case. But then I took a huge break from it and finally went back to it when I was older, probably around 16-18 and stuck to it.

I went back to it because I got fed up with live action TV and thought the plots were kind of boring and I wanted something more fantastic and speculative, but cartoons were too childish. Anime can be pretty childish too, but it also has that ability to appeal to a whole slew of demographics and audiences. So I finally went back and stuck to it. The stories, plots, characters were also hugely inspirational in my own writing.

So what's everyone's genesis of anime and why did you stick with it throughout the years?

Cruise Control
A serial web fiction updated every Wednesday and Sunday.
Definitely for fans of Bleach!
Mouse-sama
将軍 (Shogun)
神様 (Kami)

Re: What got you into anime, and kept you there?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 12:15:17 AM »

i started watching anime at the age of 13 more or less. got hooked mostly because i was fasinated by the drawings- as i loved drawing... then i got my mangas.... which i stared at... and slowly saw some anime which was rare at that time. not much was found online.
and well after getting used to the comlicated and weird stories i just cant go back....

]
invincible1998
Monitor Puncher
忍者 (Ninja)
先輩 (Senpai)

There is no seriousness

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 01:22:12 AM »

Doraemon XD

seriously, its full of imagination and it doesn't limit you there.
sure the main characters are insufferable,but the main point is titular character, everything else is crap.

what kept me in was old ass ultraviolent anime, stuff that you wouldn't believe existed.
to be honest, i found western cartoon violence was unsatisfactory, hence my turn of attention.
cartoons were not too childish, if if you know what to expect, and your imagination to add to it.

its where i found this site, it had some, if not most of what i was looking for

Tiki-sensei
浪人 (Ronin)
先生 (Sensei)

Redeemed Exorcist

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 01:25:45 AM »

Well I did watch some anime without knowing it was anime back in the 80s. And then saw some more later but again didn't pay attention to it. I didn't actually "try" it until a friend told me about it and that wasn't until I was 30!  I loved it from the start and never stopped watching it since. I love all the different genres they have within anime and all the different demographics they have.

Yes I'm an old fart!   
entity
侍 (Samurai)
神様 (Kami)

Wanna dance?

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 04:19:50 AM »

Hmm, well my first was Dragonball Z, when I was like 7 I think? I remember it used to come on early in the morning (this was before it was on cartoon network). I didn't know it was anime, just thought it was awesome. They only had upto the saiyan saga (though at the time I didn't really know that).

Then it was Pokemon/Digimon into the stuff the showed on Toonami (DBZ, Gundam Wing, Tenchi, Outlaw Star etc). And then I had a big long break when I went off to boarding school. I started watching again in undergrad when I heard about Fullmetal Alchemist, and a channel in India dedicated to just showing anime starting airing it. After that, I went pretty full on anime-nerd and started watching all the good shows I missed while I was away and that eventually brought me to anistash.

If you want to do something, do it now. If you wait until tomorrow to start doing it, maybe you don't actually want to do it!

My blog:  Artificial
Reality

New!! Animestash Chat Sessions on Saturday, 4:00 PM GMT : Come Join Us!

Ikalx
Oyaji
僧兵 (Sohei)
神様 (Kami)

Spirit Bandanna

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 02:16:43 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ4c1X5ene8

For me it's really a question of what is anime, actually. Back in the day, the late 70's and 80's there were lots of shows that were animated in Japan and leased to the west. Other things like "Battle of the Planets" were pure conversions, basically dubbed anime really.

But if you're talking about what I usually would have considered anime, then around 16 or so I think I saw the first part of RG Veda, and some of Ghost in the Shell, randomly. A few years later I think the sci-fi channel had stuff like evangelion and martian successor nadesico, but I can't remember if that's after or before toonami showed all the things enty mentioned. I think it was after.

DBZ I saw in tandem to Gundam Wing and Tenchi Muyo, which pretty much sealed the deal. I know sometime later, though, I saw stuff like Violence Jack and Angel Cop...which, as invincible said, belongs in the league of crazy old ass stuff xD

Although with that crazy stuff, they actually made it more crazy for the UK audience because anime was such a niche thing at the time. So they bulked it out with massive amounts of swear words, and just generally made it as extreme as possible. I read an article on that once...and was not surprised, lol.
mkprovince
新米 (Shinmai)

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 07:41:16 PM »

Manga, particularly Doraemon. It's one thing to see the still pictures but it's an entirely different matter when you see it fully animated. Then, the good stuff hit TV when Macross aired.
Bartjeuhh
新米 (Shinmai)

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 11:24:19 AM »

I started watching Rurouni Kenshin at the age of 4-5 I guess, it was on VT4 (a kids channel haha) in Belgium at 6am before school. So bloody though, it was not until I was 16 years I picked it up again when I found this website and I realized it is considered 16+ at some places. grin

Ow and don't forget Pokémon! That came right after "Samourai X" (Rurouni Kenshin), always 2 episodes. When I was 6 (1999) I got the very first Pokémon Red game and the GamboyColor at the release date launch and I was hooked for the rest of my life 'till now :3
GIR
新米 (Shinmai)

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 04:54:12 PM »

Hmm, well my first was Dragonball Z, when I was like 7 I think? I remember it used to come on early in the morning (this was before it was on cartoon network). I didn't know it was anime, just thought it was awesome.

Yeah pretty much the same here. I watched pokemon and DBZ just thinking they were cartoons. Around 2009 my friend, who was really involved in this site, showed me some less mainstream stuff and I really got addicted to harem anime for a while. Nowadays I usually just read manga but I've been trying to get back into anime although it's hard to find stuff that I can really get into.
Blackstar
忍者 (Ninja)
来賓 (Raihin)

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 01:27:25 PM »

I started to watch anime when i was 8 or 7.... the first anime i watched was yuyu hakushu (popularly know in the philippines a Ghost Fighter and it was dubbed)...i was so facinated i fought my mom with her telenovela time...... i stopped watching because my mom won't let me......but then when i was in college, i discovered animestash......

Live with it
Kaiosama
新米 (Shinmai)

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 01:36:07 AM »

I'm from uk, like Ikalx, so I saw the anime's he did.
I will always like anime, it's still better than anything on tv.
Zaphod

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 07:57:59 PM »

nausicaa and the valley of the wind when I was about 5-6 and then everything i ever saw after was awesome. Better characters better scripts better tropes etc than most western ideas

only n hiding ones identity can one truly be known

Pages: [1]  
Anime Stash Community Forum  |  Anime & Manga Discussion  |  Anime  |  Topic: What got you into anime, and kept you there?
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length